Last updated on April 6th, 2019 at 02:04 pm
This recipe is one I’ve been dying to upload all week!! I think it’s definitely one of my favourite ones on the blog as it’s just too good!! I uploaded some Cheesy Keto Biscuits the other day and I served them with some sausage gravy when I had made them. Then it occurred to me that I could make it even more amazing by baking the biscuits with the sausage gravy!! You could even use my Cheddar Jalapeno Biscuits to make this recipe spicy! Or use my almond flour biscuits to make it dairy free.
Adding the biscuits to the cream and gravy was THE smartest idea ever. The biscuits bake over the cream and absorb the cream while cooking so they are SO flavourful! I actually made these biscuits with some cheddar cheese instead of gouda because that’s what I had on hand, but you can use any kind of shredded cheese you have.
I wasn’t sure if adding the biscuits over the cream would work because I thought that the biscuits would get ruined and become too soft and mushy, but not at all! They probably baked and became nice and crispy!
For the sausage gravy, I actually used homemade breakfast sausage, but any sausage you have on hand will do! To thicken the gravy I used xanthan gum as usual, but guar gum, cream cheese, crushed chia seeds, konjac flour, or any type of starch (obviously) will work.
I also decided to add brown mushrooms to the sausage gravy simply because I love mushrooms. I think cream and pork go extremely well with mushrooms and this dish was an overall success. Because this dish is meat, biscuits and cream, the calories are pretty high, so I made the nutritional value as 8 portions. One portion is extremely filling as a lunch itself, but if you’re going to serve it with Thanksgiving dishes, then you’ll probably have an even smaller portion! Serve this with some Roasted Buttery Mushrooms or a Keto Thanksgiving Turkey and you are ready for Thanksgiving or any family dinner! Normal folks won’t even know this is low carb and gluten-free!
Low Carb Sausage Gravy & Biscuits Skillet
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.
- Slice the mushrooms.
- In a large cast iron skillet, add the butter and melt on medium heat. Add the sausage and start cooking it, crumbling it as it cooks. Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional minute until soft.
- Add the chicken broth and turn the heat to high. Let the chicken broth simmer down until there's about half the amount there was. Add the cream, salt, pepper, and marjoram. Mix until combined.
- Add the xanthan gum 1/4 tsp at a time and make sure to continue to whisk so that the gravy starts to thicken. Once thickened, turn the heat off.
- Prepare the biscuits recipe now. I would avoid making the biscuits batter before making the sausage gravy because the baking powder will be in the wet ingredients too long. Once your biscuits batter is ready, add it by the spoonful all over the sausage gravy.
- Add the skillet to the oven and cook for 25 minutes.
- The biscuits will have absorbed most of the cream from the gravy and will be super flavourful and flaky! It's then ready to serve!
Nutritional information is provided through calculations made on fatsecret.com. They are approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on mypcoskitchen.com. Sugar alcohols are included in the fiber count. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber (which include sugar alcohols).
All text, pictures & videos are copyright protected © by Mira Richard-Fioramore for My PCOS Kitchen.
Shares are very much appreciated, just make sure to share a link and not a screenshot.
Copy/pasting full recipe text to websites and social media is prohibited. Excerpts, single photos, and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to www.mypcoskitchen.com with appropriate link back to the original content.