The BEST Crispy Keto Fried Chicken Recipe
This healthy gluten free fried chicken recipe does not use any corn starch or flours. Made with an easy batter, these chicken tenders will be so juicy and crispy! You won't ever want to go to KFC again once you make this low carb fried chicken recipe.
Servings 4 people
- as needed lard or avocado oil, coconut oil, beef tallow
- 1/2 cup whey protein isolate or egg white powder for dairy free
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs 4 large thighs
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tbsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp celery seeds
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
Spicy Ranch Dressing
- 3 tbsp homemade mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili oil
Mince the garlic cloves. Cut the chicken thighs into bite size pieces. I prefer to eat the skin, but if you don't like the skin feel free to take it off :)
In a bowl combine the chicken with all the spices and the almond milk. Mix until well combined. Add the two eggs to the mixture and mix thoroughly.
Heat the lard (or any frying oil you'll be using) between 140-150C/285-300F.
When the oil is hot, dip each chicken piece, one by one, into the protein powder making sure all the sides are perfectly coated. Once coated, add the chicken pieces to your hot oil and fry 2-3 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. The inner temperature of each chicken bites should register at 65C/150F+ when the chicken is cooked through.
Add the fried chicken on a wire rack or some paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Eat as is or with some spicy ranch dressing!
- The chicken can be reheated the next day, but taste better and is crispier the same day :)
- The ranch dressing can also be made as a salad dressing.
- The nutritional info does not include the ranch dipping sauce.
- Make sure to use unflavoured whey protein isolate and not whey protein powder.
- You can’t make this low carb fried chicken recipe with an air fryer.
- You must absolutely cover the raw chicken with an egg before coating with the whey protein isolate. This is how you ensure your fried chicken breading sticks to the chicken.
- If you eat dairy free, simply switch the whey protein isolate for egg white protein.
- Deep fry each chicken pieces in oil that’s about 140-150C/280-300F. Higher than that and your batter will burn before the chicken is cooked.
- You can use any type of spice you want. I chose to do a copycat KFC fried chicken recipe which is why I used that many spices.
Serving: 1serving (without ranch) | Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 2.98g | Protein: 44.2g | Fat: 20.37g | Saturated Fat: 5.65g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.28g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7.84g | Cholesterol: 212mg | Sodium: 1109mg | Potassium: 413mg | Fiber: 0.8g | Sugar: 0.63g | NET CARBS: 2.18g