Last updated on October 29th, 2017 at 11:00 am
It was Canadian Thanksgiving a couple of days ago. Since I couldn’t find a turkey anywhere, I just decided to make myself a yummy low carbified (is that even a word) cauliflower mac and cheese! I used to make lots of cheese sauces for lasagnas in my gluten eating days, so I based the cheese sauce recipe on that!
My usual cheese sauces are usually based with butter and flour, but it was quite easy to convert it to a low carb version. Just added a bit of xanthan gum and cooked it for a bit longer and it was the creamiest and most delicious sauce ever!
I flavoured it with some mustard and nutmeg as those are my go to spices for cheese sauces. You know, you can also use this cheese sauce to pour over any veggies or meat as it’s super yummy!!!
I also added a bit of crushed pork rinds on top to give it a bit of crisp! I used these humongous cauliflower heads so it made about 5 portions. Ate some every meal since this weekend haha!
Low Carb Three-Cheese Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
- 2 large heads cauliflower (1kg/35.2oz)
- 30g orange cheddar (1 oz)
- 1 tbsp pork rinds (crushed)
- pinch parsley
- Separate the cauliflower into small florets. Put a large pot to boil and add the florets inside. Boil until slightly tender. Try not to overcook the cauliflower as it tends to break apart easily. Drain the water out and place the cauliflower florets in a large baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Grate your three cheeses. Mince the garlic cloves. In a small non-stick pot, add the almond milk, heavy cream and garlic. Put to boil. Turn off the heat and add the cheeses a little at a time while always whisking. Continue to whisk and continue to add the cheeses in small batches until it has all melted.
- Once the cheese is melted, add the mustard powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add the xanthan gum, turn up the heat to high and continue whisking for a good 5-8 minutes until the cheese sauce has considerably thickened and simmered down.
- Pour the thickened cheese sauce over the cauliflower florets in the baking dish. Add the shredded 30g orange cheddar over the entire dish and sprinkle some of the crushed pork rinds and parsley evenly.
- Place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes on the high rack just to melt that cheddar and crisp up the pork rinds!Take it out and enjoy!!
Nutritional information is provided through calculations made on fatsecret.com. They are approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on mypcoskitchen.com. Sugar alcohols are included in the fiber count. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber (which include sugar alcohols).
All text, pictures & videos are copyright protected © by Mira Richard-Fioramore for My PCOS Kitchen.
Shares are very much appreciated, just make sure to share a link and not a screenshot.
Copy/pasting full recipe text to websites and social media is prohibited. Excerpts, single photos, and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to www.mypcoskitchen.com with appropriate link back to the original content.