Last updated on May 9th, 2018 at 02:35 am
I recently made a batch of homemade “ricotta” cheese, and by that I mean almond cheese. Dairy seems to be bad for us cysters and I’ll write about that in another post, so I’ve made a ricotta replacement using almonds. I’ll be posting the recipe soon 🙂 Almond cheese is quite delicious and you can add a variety of spices to it to make it even better tasting. This salad is paleo-friendly and is vegan!
There are various types of greens starting to be in season in Japan and I’ve been getting my hands on a whole bunch of delicious wild leaves to make different salads. Colourful cherry tomatoes are also widely available this time of year so I got some of those too. For this recipe, I wanted to create something that would go really well with spring mix, baby spinach and my almond ricotta cheese. I found that by adding different leaves and vegetables, this salad stood out so much in terms of taste and aesthetic. The colours are beautiful and blend beautifully together. It’s honestly a true veggie delight. As always, this salad is low-carb and low-calorie. It makes a great side or a light delicious lunch.
For the dressing, I wanted to make a dressing that would complement all of the vegetables together. A simple healthy basil vinaigrette will do the trick! Making homemade salad dressing is so much easier and healthier than store-bought ones. I usually make a cup of vinaigrette and keep it in the fridge for a couple of weeks. This way, I never run out of dressing and I’m never tempted to go buy those unhealthy ones at the supermarket. My number one rule when cooking is when you go to the store and look at the ingredients list, if there are any ingredients you don’t understand then don’t buy it. I make all my food from scratch this way I know exactly what goes in my body.
"Ricotta" Veggie Delight
- 1 cup spring mix leaves
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 radish leaves
- 5 colourful cherry tomatoes
- 4 asparagus
- 1/4 cucumber
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper
- 2 tbsp almond ricotta cheese
- 6 leaves basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp organic lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add some water to a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Cut the asparagus stems and discard. Put the asparagus in the boiling pot and boil for 4 minutes. Drain the water.
- Slice the radish, cucumber, and yellow bell pepper. Cut the asparagus sticks in half.
- In a large bowl, add the spring mix with the spinach. If your radish came with their leaves, you can also add the radish leaves in there. Add all of the sliced vegetables and the cherry tomatoes. Add the almond ricotta over.
For the basil vinaigrette
- Mince the fresh basil leaves and garlic. Add them to a small bowl. Mix in the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Drizzle over the salad.