Last updated on April 23rd, 2018 at 06:03 am
Last weekend I was actually planning on making some cauliflower pizzas and using some red peppers to make a ‘nomato’ sauce, but I decided to make a skillet dish instead using some chicken breasts that I had in the fridge. The first time I made roasted red peppers, I was surprised at how much they tasted like tomatoes once I mashed them all up. If you’re allergic to tomatoes, red peppers could be an awesome replacement that taste just like tomatoes! I decided to make this Red Pepper Skillet Chicken & Goat cheese and added a few more ingredients to it. Apart from roasting the red peppers, this meal doesn’t require a lot of time to make!
I decided to use some chicken breasts (and one thigh) because that’s what I had on hand, but you could use whatever part of the chicken you want! The only reason why this dish makes three portions is because only three chicken thighs/breasts fit in my cast iron skillet. I bet this meal would taste amazing with some chicken wings and drumsticks! I decided to top the top of the dish with some fresh basil, actually with the last basil of my little garden for the season, but it ended up looking like the wilted spinach! Oh well, the flavours were all there, so I guess it’s okay!
I took some pictures of all the steps so that you can see how I made it! I halved some peppers, roasted them in the oven for about 40 minutes, peeled and mashed them in a food processor. I then proceeded to grill the chicken and make the ‘nomato’ sauce!
Red Pepper Skillet Chicken & Goat Cheese
- 4 red peppers (about 400g)
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts (or thighs, about 1.1kg)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 6 mushrooms
- 40 g spinach (about 3 cups loose raw spinach)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cream
- 100 g goat cheese
- 5 leaves fresh basil
- Preheat your oven to 200C/400F.
- Slice the red peppers in half, remove the stem and seeds and plate on a baking tray over some parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes, or until the pepper's skin starts to blacken and can be peeled. Take the peppers out of the oven and let cool down. Once cooled, remove the skin with your hands.
- Add the peeled peppers to a food processor (or a blender, stick blender) and mix until smooth.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken breasts on each side. Mince the garlic, slice the mushrooms, shred the spinach and slice the fresh basil leaves.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet and place the breasts in. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes on medium heat. Once each side is grilled, add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a minute. Add the pureed red peppers and 1/2 cup of water. Cover and let simmer on medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, add the cream and the spinach. Move the spinach around with your spatula until they are completely wilted. Cook for a minute, just so that the cream and red peppers combine and turn off heat. Crumble the goat cheese over and top with the sliced basil leaves.
KitchenAid KFC3511ER 3.5-Cup Food Chopper - Empire Red
Lodge L10SK3 Pre-Seasoned Skillet, 12-Inch
Nutritional information is provided through calculations made on fatsecret.com. They are approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on mypcoskitchen.com. Sugar alcohols are included in the fiber count. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber (which include sugar alcohols).
All text, pictures & videos are copyright protected © by Mira Richard-Fioramore for My PCOS Kitchen.
Shares are very much appreciated, just make sure to share a link and not a screenshot.
Copy/pasting full recipe text to websites and social media is prohibited. Excerpts, single photos, and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to www.mypcoskitchen.com with appropriate link back to the original content.