I’ve been eating a lot of Keto-friendly food these past few days so I’d thought of sharing one of my favourite meal this week. If you ever start a Keto diet, you may seem lost at first, so I suggest you stick with simple things. Things that you know. From then, you can slowly add more things into your diet and cook different meals. One thing that I find is really simple while on Keto, or even a paleo diet, that I can guarantee you to be low carb are stuffed chicken breasts! They are so easy to make, taste absolutely amazing and will fill you up right away! Just don’t add any dairy products to your breasts for a paleo diet!
For this recipe I decided to stuff my chicken breasts with shiitake mushrooms, raw spinach, and gouda cheese. I also wrapped the breasts with prosciutto. If you are dairy-free you could always stuff them with sun-dried tomatoes instead of the gouda cheese. I pan fried the breast in my cast iron skillet using some ghee and finished the breast off in the oven. You can always use bacon to wrap the breast if you can’t find prosciutto!
I accompanied the meal with a simple caesar salad using my Paleo Caesar dressing. I love making caesar salads because they always end up low-carb! This entire meal had 7.35g of carbs and 830 calories. The chicken breast that I got in my weekly box were humongous! They ranged from 250g-400g per breast, but the tenders were still attached to the breasts. I decided to cut the tenders off so that I could use them for another recipe.
Today, I actually decided to cut one breast in half and top it over a small caesar salad for lunch the next day. These breasts taste even better cold the next day topped over a delicious salad!
Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken Breast with Spinach, Shiitake & Gouda
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Slice each chicken breast in the middle, carefully not slicing through the end.
- Sprinkle each breast with the salt and pepper making sure to add some inside the incision too.
- Cut the stems off the shiitake mushrooms and slice the caps.
- Cut the gouda into 4 sticks (40g each).
- Stuff each breast with 1/4 of each ingredient: shiitake mushroom slices, fresh spinach, and 40g gouda cheese.
- Wrap each breast with the prosciutto slices. If you have trouble closing the breast properly, use some toothpicks to secure the filling in.
- Add the ghee to a cast iron skillet (I used an 11" one) and heat on medium heat.
- Add each breast to the skillet. Cook 5-7 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Transfer the skillet into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the middle of the breasts registers above 65C/150F.
- Take the breasts out of the oven and let them rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- These stuffed chicken breasts taste just as good cold served over a salad!