As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy for details.
Last updated on April 23rd, 2018 at 03:04 am
There is this really low-carb dough used in the Keto world that has been increasingly popular over the last few years. It’s called fathead dough and is based off the Fathead movie, where they made a crust using cheese and blanched almond flour, making it extremely low-carb. You can make any type of baking with this dough, from pizzas, slices of ”sandwich bread”, or pastry dough. If you consume dairy, then this is the perfect dough to try and make at home if you’re watching your carb intake! I decided to make some pigs in a blanket with it and it turned out awesome!!
I experimented making these with mozzarella, gouda and cheddar cheese and found that cheddar cheese tasted the best! I live in Japan so the brand of sausages that I use are different from most of you, but I used some organic cheddar sausages with no additives, sugar or wheat in them. If you have pcos, it’s really important for you to avoid gluten and sugar so make sure that when you buy sausages, they don’t contain any of those!
I had originally uploaded this recipe using mozzarella or gouda, but honestly you have to try it with cheddar! It’s the best!! I actually wasn’t planning on using cheddar, but I didn’t have any mozzarella left and so decided to try them with cheddar and it was a huge success!
I decided to take pictures of every step in case you weren’t too sure how to make the dough from the instructions. Remember that this dough can be used for anything, so if you ever feel like eating pizza, just make it into a circle, add your toppings and bake it!
Pigs in a Blanket (Gluten-free/Low-carb)
- 170 g cheddar cheese (or mozzarella, gouda)
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour (about 85g)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt (onion powder, parsley)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 8 organic small cheddar sausages (wheat/sugar-free, 180g)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Shred the 170g cheddar cheese into a microwave-safe bowl and add the cream cheese.
- Place in the microwave and microwave for 1 minute. Take out of the microwave and mix with a silicone spatula. Place back in the microwave and heat 30 more seconds. If the cheese isn't fully melted by now, place it back in the microwave and heat another 20-30 seconds until fully melted. Mix with your silicone spatula.
- Add the egg to the cheese mixture and mix until the egg has been completely incorporated.
- Add the almond flour and spices and mix together until a dough forms.
- Add a long piece of parchment paper over a baking tray to cover.
- Place on a piece of parchment paper and separate into 8 balls.
- Flatten the balls with your spatula, into small rectangles the length of your sausage.
- Place the sausage over the rectangle dough and roll. Repeat for all sausages.
- Place the tray into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
I haven't tried making these with other cheeses, but I know that it works with gouda, mozzarella and cheddar!
Nutritional information is provided through calculations made on fatsecret.com. They are approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on mypcoskitchen.com. Sugar alcohols are included in the fiber count. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber (which include sugar alcohols).
All text, pictures & videos are copyright protected © by Mira Richard-Fioramore for My PCOS Kitchen.
Shares are very much appreciated, just make sure to share a link and not a screenshot.
Copy/pasting full recipe text to websites and social media is prohibited. Excerpts, single photos, and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to www.mypcoskitchen.com with appropriate link back to the original content.