Last updated on August 2nd, 2017 at 11:01 am
The hot weather these past couple of weeks (30C-32C/86F-89F) have blessed me and my garden. My lettuce leaves have sprouted new leaves again and I needed to harvest them asap. That’s when I decided it would be the perfect day to make a huge salad. I chose to make a Paleo Shrimp & Avocado Caesar Salad with my green leaf lettuce!
I’ve been feeling like eating a caesar salad for days now and thought this would be a perfect opportunity to introduce my paleo caesar dressing! I’ve been really obsessed with avocado oil lately. I’ve been using it pretty often to make salad dressings! It’s just such a good oil to cook with. If you do not want to use avocado oil, you can substitute it with olive oil no problem!
A lot of recipes for caesar dressing don’t add oregano and I feel it’s such a shame! Adding oregano to this salad dressing makes it taste so much better! For this salad I added some organic bacon slices that I recently found on a new organic food website that I use. They do not have any additives or anything like that so I really like eating them!
The caesar dressing makes about 3/4-1 cup of dressing so you’ll definitely have extra for your next salads! You will use about 1/4-1/2 cup for this recipe depending on your taste buds! Dairy isn’t very good for us PCOS ladies and I don’t eat it quite often so I did not add the parmigiano reggiano into the dressing, but if you can tolerate it, then I added instructions in the recipe for you!
Shrimp & Avocado Caesar Salad
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 cucumber
- 12 shrimps
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 slices bacon
Caesar Dressing (This makes 3/4 cup of dressing. You will need 1/2 cup for the entire salad.
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp anchovy paste
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or olive oil, 125ml
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese optional* if you eat dairy
- In a food processor add all of the ingredients except the avocado oil. Pulse for 1 minute until all nicely blended together. Add the olive oil in a slow stream while pulsing. Food processors usually have a small hole on the cover to add liquid. Pulse until all of the oil is added. This will thicken the salad dressing.
- *If you eat cheese, you can add 1/2 cup of the parmigiano reggiano to the food processor and mix 30 seconds more.
- Cook the bacon slices on medium heat in a large frying pan until nice and crispy. Set aside on some kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil. Do not discard the bacon fat, we will use it to cook the shrimps.
- Peel the shrimps. Mince the garlic.
- Add the minced garlic and shrimps to the bacon fat. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the shrimps are a nice orange colour. Set aside.
- Chop the bacon slices into tiny bits. Dice the tomato and cucumber. Slice the avocado and chop the lettuce into big pieces.
- In an extra large plate or bowl, add the chopped lettuce leaves and cover with the shrimp, bacon, avocado, tomato, and cucumber.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of caesar dressing over the entire salad.
- Toss well and enjoy 🙂