Last updated on April 23rd, 2018 at 05:53 am
I don’t know if anyone else noticed, but I keep on seeing these crock-pot recipe videos on Facebook for the Mississippi roast. I’ve been meaning to make one too, but I knew that it would be a pretty different version as I don’t have access to the traditional ingredients that the recipe uses here in Japan. I decided to make myself a Paleo version of the Mississipi Roast, added different veggies and used a different style of hot pepper. I think the taste was pretty similar, even though I didn’t have to use any pre-packaged spice packs or gravy so that it could remained gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free.
In Japan, they don’t really grow hot peppers like in the West and so I’ve never seen jalapenos, pepperoncini, poblano peppers, and so on. They only hot peppers available are dried Japanese chili peppers, which is what I used in this recipe. It turned out really good as the heat of these small peppers was just perfect!
In this recipe, I chose to add different vegetables like red peppers, mushrooms, onions, green beans and lotus roots. If you’re doing a keto diet, feel free to omit the lotus root for a lower carb option. If you’ve never tried lotus root, I definitely recommend it! They are crunchy and sort of taste like potatoes! They ended up really soft, but at the same time crunchy, after cooking 8 hours in the slow cooker.
I love making pulled pork or beef because you can add it to so many different dishes! This week I added a bit of this over some salad, in my psyllium buns for a pulled beef sandwich, over some tortillas, and so on! The possibilities are endless! Even just eating the pulled beef as is, is delicious!
Paleo Mississippi Roast with Lotus Root
A delicious dairy-free take on the popular roast!
- 700 g beef chuck roast
- 120 g lotus root optional - skip for keto version
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 140 g mushroom
- 200 g green beans
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter use ghee if paleo
- 5 chili peppers or pepperoncini
- Combine the ranch dressing ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Peel the lotus root and slice into 5mm slices.
- Slice the red pepper, onion and mushrooms. Cut the stems off the green beans.
- In a slow cooker or crock pot, add the beef roast to the bottom. Cover with all of the veggies (except the green beans) and pour the ranch dressing all over. Add the butter over the sauce. Cover with the chili peppers.
- Cook on low heat for 7 hours, take out the lid and shred the beef. Mix everything together. Add the green beans and cook for an additional hour. It's ready to serve as it, or over a salad, tortilla or burger bun!
Will last about 5 days in the fridge.
The nutritional information does not include the lotus root.