When I first stopped eating gluten, I realized that my diet mostly consisted of bread or pasta. Cutting off bread was really hard because I really love to eat sandwiches or have a toast in the morning, and I really thought my bread days were over. I started experimenting with different flours and realized that I really do not like coconut flour or coconut milk and so would need to mostly rely on nut flours or GF flours. I could buy a gluten-free bread at the grocery store, except most gluten-free breads out there are extremely high in carbs and have a bunch of weird ingredients. That’s when I decided to make my own bread that would remind me of normal bread, but at the same time wouldn’t make me gain weight.
Making this bread is essentially just like making a roll cake! It’s the same procedure except you add ingredients to make a bread! I’ve tested this bread with sandwiches, as an “English muffin” for Eggs Benedict, as eggs in a hole, and I’ve toasted it! So far this bread holds quite nicely, it’s really moist and fluffy, and it has a nice salty and sweet flavour at the same time!
I’m really excited to share this recipe with you guys because I know we all crave carbs deep inside, so having a healthier alternative is really exciting for me! I made sure to not use any sugar for this bread, only honey, so that it would stay healthy 🙂
For this recipe, I use cashew nut butter and you can find the recipe here! If you don’t have cashew nut butter, you can use almond butter too! You can also use coconut flour if you don’t have GF flour.
Low-carb Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread
- Preheat your oven to 150C/300F.
- Line a small 9''x4'' loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Separate the egg whites and egg yolks in two different bowls.
- Beat the egg whites until peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl add the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the honey, almond milk, lemon juice and cashew butter to the egg yolks. Beat with your hand mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until incorporated.
- Add half of the egg whites and beat. Add the other half and beat until combined. Try not to over mix the batter as we don't want the egg whites to fall.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and tap on the counter to flatten out the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Take it out of the pan and let cool for 30min-1hour.
Wrap in saran wrap or put in a plastic bag and refrigerate. Will keep for 5-6 days.
I used a small loaf pan, about 9"x4".
You can double this recipe and make it in a bigger loaf pan, just bake it for a little bit longer!
You can substitute the cashew butter for almond butter!
You can also substitute the GF flour for coconut flour!