Last updated on April 23rd, 2018 at 03:29 am
I recently made a little batch of homemade taco spice the other day so I thought I’d make some tacos with it! I wanted something relatively low-carb so I decided to use some butter lettuce instead of my paleo tortilla wraps. If you ever make lettuce tacos, I suggest using butter lettuce because it folds nicely and looks really pretty! I find any other type of lettuce tends to break easily when you try to roll it out.
I first made the tacos using my taco seasoning and added some fresh veggies, but I thought it’d be nice to have a little sauce that can go over them. When eating paleo, you can’t eat dairy, so I thought I’d make a little side of coconut lime sauce that you can just drizzle over the tacos, which kind of reminds me of either an aioli or sour cream. Instead of just mixing the coconut cream by hand, I used my food processor to shred the cilantro and then added the coconut milk and organic lime juice!
Because I used lettuce instead of wraps, they turned out pretty low carb! This recipes makes about 4 big tacos that are quite filling! 1 tacos has 387 calories and 8g net carbs. You can chose to eat the tacos with or without the coconut lime sauce, it’s up to you!
Paleo Lettuce Tacos
- 400 g ground pork
- 1 onion 120g
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning (RECIPE HERE)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 small red onion
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes
- 4-8 leaves butter lettuce depending on the size of your lettuce leaves
- Peel and mince the onion and garlic. Dice the pepper. Add the olive oil to a large frying pan and sautee the onions and garlic until soft. Add the red pepper and cook 2-3 minutes. Add the ground pork and cook until brown. Add the taco seasoning with the water and let it simmer 5 minutes on low-heat, or until it has considerably simmered down. Set aside.
- Peel the red onion and cut into slices. Peel and deseed the avocado and cut into slices. Dice the tomato.
- In a food processor, combine the cilantro sprig, coconut milk, lime juice and salt. Pulse until combined.
- Add some of the taco meat over the lettuce and cover with the tomatoes, red onion and avocado. Drizzle some of the coconut lime sauce over the tacos.
Buy the ingredients & equipment here:
Native Forest Organic Classic Coconut Milk, 13.5-oz. Cans (Count of 12)
La Tourangelle 100% Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil - For Olive Oil Lovers - Cold-Pressed, Non-GMO - 25.4 Fl. Oz.
SANTA CRUZ JUICE LIME 100% ORG, 16 FO
The Spice Lab's Fine Himalayan Natural Unprocessed Cooking Salt, 1-Pound
KitchenAid KFP0711CU 7 Cup Food Processor, Contour Silver