I had to work on Saturday because the school where I work hosted their annual culture festival where every class sets up an activity, whether it’s a food stand, a haunted house, “casino”, or games. I spent the whole day hanging out in the class that offered archery in the classroom! You can see a video here on my Instagram. Well, because we worked on Saturday, they gave us today off!
I decided to catch up on some sleep and make myself a delicious salad for brunch. I didn’t know what kind of salad I would make, but I did have all the ingredients in my fridge to make a paleo Cobb salad! I’ve been working on a few dairy-free recipes for the past month and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to make a dairy-free paleo Cobb salad and buffalo ranch dressing! I don’t really enjoy blue cheese so I prefer eating this version anyways!
I’m not American and so have never eaten a traditional Cobb salad so am not exactly sure what is supposed to go in it. I just know the common ingredients and copied that from the best of my knowledge. I wasn’t sure what type of dressing went on it so I just made a buffalo ranch dressing because I thought it’d go really well with the salad, especially the chicken. The dressing is pretty simple, just a mixture of homemade mayonnaise, spices and lemon juice. If you don’t have any homemade mayo on hand, you can always use a paleo friendly one like Primal Kitchen Paleo Avocado Oil Mayo
! Buffalo ranch dressings usually require you to use some sort of hot sauce, but all the hot sauces here, and most brands, contain sugar so I decided to use some chili oil instead!
If you would like to make the salad the way I did, a stacked Cobb salad, you’ll need a large cylinder where you can add your layers one at a time and just lift off the cylinder after. I actually used a 2L bottle of water and cut off both ends. I put the cylinder over a plate and added each layer one at a time. Once you have added your layers, carefully lift the cylinder up. I poured the dressing over the salad once the cylinder was out of the way.
Paleo Cobb Salad & Buffalo Ranch Dressing
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 16 sticks asparagus
- 2 avocados
- 2 heads lettuce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Slice the tomatoes, boiled egg, and avocado. Shred the lettuce. Cut the stems off the asparagus.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts and sprinkle the salt, pepper and paprika powder on both sides of the breasts. Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet
- and add the chicken breasts. Fry 4-5 minutes on each side and set aside to cool down. Dice the chicken into big cubes.
- Add the asparagus to the side and cook 4-5 minutes while the chicken is cooking.
- Fry the bacon slices until crispy.
- Add the shredded lettuce to a plate and top with all of the salad ingredients.
- Combine the ranch dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix until combined. Pour over the salad.
Get the equipment used here:
Lodge L10SK3 Pre-Seasoned Skillet, 12-Inch