Last updated on May 9th, 2018 at 02:26 am
You know when you have one of those days where you just want to eat a burger? Monday was one of those days so I decided to make myself a PCOS-friendly one! I don’t eat bread (with gluten), as you all know, so I made myself a paleo bunless burger! Whenever you feel like eating some bread, just think of it this way. A bun is just a vessel to hold a burger, a tortilla wrap is just a vessel to eat some wrap fillings, a pizza crust is just a vessel to eat pizza toppings, so if you find different vessels to hold your fillings and toppings, you can enjoy the previous dishes you used to eat! For wraps, I usually make gluten-free ones or use large lettuce leaves or swiss chard, for pizza I use cauliflower crust or the fathead crust. For this recipe, I decided to use a bunch of spinach to hold my burger toppings, but I have also previously used lettuce to wrap my burgers! I don’t actually hold this burger with my hands, but I use a fork and knife and stay classy!
Eating burgers this way, you realize that you don’t need a lot of sauces or toppings because the ingredients themselves have so much flavour! I decided to use a bit of cilantro lime mayonnaise and poured it all over the patty! For the mayonnaise, you could use some of my homemade one or you could use Primal Kitchen’s avocado mayo!
This burger was so good that I decided to make another one the next day! This time I used a pork patty and didn’t put any mushrooms (because I didn’t have any left). I also used my cast iron skillet because I just lovecooking with it! I use the Lodge brand and absolutely love it! I find cast iron skillets give the meat beautiful grilled colours that just can’t be compared to normal frying pans.
Paleo Bacon Avocado Burger
- Mince the cilantro and combine it with the mayonnaise and lime juice in a small bowl.
- Slice the tomatoes, thinly slice the avocado and fan it out, and slice the mushrooms.
- Fry the bacon slices in a large cast iron skillet. Fry until crispy, flipping them around from time to time. Put the bacon slices to the side. Keep the oil for the patties.
- Combine the ground beef, salt, black pepper and garlic powder in a bowl and knead with your hands. Make 4 burger patties and place them in the skillet. Cook in the bacon grease on medium heat until medium rare or cooked through. Set the patties aside. Add the mushrooms in the leftover bacon grease and fry until golden brown.
- On a plate, add some baby spinach and cover with the sliced tomatoes and avocado. Top with the bacon slices and burger. Drizzle some of the cilantro mayonnaise over the patty and top with the fried mushrooms. Sprinkle the black pepper over everything.
Get the equipment used here!:
Lodge L8SK3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Skillet, 10.25-inch