I’ve decided to compile a list of everything I do that has been working for me. I don’t particularly follow any kind of diet, but I do watch my carbs (75g< per day) and try to eat less than 2000 calories a day. Although, I don’t really pay attention to the calories to be honest, but for some reason, every time I eat low-carb they always end up being under 2500 calories a day. I eat gluten-free and sugar-free. I only eat organic food. I also made exercise part of my daily lifestyle.
I do not eat:
- Refined sugars
- Gluten (bread, pasta, breadcrumbs, cake made with gluten, etc)
- Holstein cow milk products
- Rice (any kind)
- Any soda or juice as they contain sugar
- Any processed food
- Any packaged food unless certified organic. Packaged food tend to have lots of random unhealthy ingredients and additives
- Meat like chicken, pork, duck, turkey, lamb, rabbit, deer and moose (maybe once a year or once every 2 years)
- Fish and seafood (Japan is a fish paradise)
- Jersey cow/goat/sheep yogurt, cream, cheese, and milk
- I RARELY eat beef as it’s high in trans fat and really expensive in Japan
- Nuts and seeds (almonds, cashew, pecan, macadamia, hazelnut, pine nuts, pistachios, chestnut, chia seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds)
- Legumes (beans, peas, lentils)
- Honey, maple syrup, and stevia powder
- Coconut oil, coconut butter, ghee, olive oil, flaxseed oil, avocado oil
- Nut butters, cacao butter, cacao powder, coconut butter
- Almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, coconut water
- Almond meal, almond flour, hazelnut flour, cashew flour, Bob’s red mill baking gluten-free flour, coconut flour, coconut flakes
- Eggs (from any bird)
- Sorghum, cornflour, cornmeal, oats, arrowroot, buckwheat, chickpeas, quinoa, tapioca
- Any type of fruits (in moderation)
- Any type of vegetables (as long as they’re not high-carb)
- Peas, winter squash, sweet potatoes, yams, taro (BUT all in moderation because they’re high in carbs…honestly I prob eat one of these once every four months)
- Root vegetables
- I do eat soy…it’s kind of hard not to since I live in Japan. I eat organic soy sauce, tofu, edamame and miso. But, the soy here is not like in N. America. It is not a GMO crop and they don’t put soybean oil/products in random food like we do in the West. The soybeans here are purely used for edamame, tofu, miso, soy milk, and soy sauce. Much more healthier than back home.
- GF soy sauce and coconut aminos
- Tea (spearmint, green tea, matcha, jasmine) + LOTS of water
- Alcohol (in moderation. Like twice a month, I’ll drink something with my boyfriend)
- Cooking alcohol
- Any spices for cooking.
Making a list of what I eat is actually harder than I thought. I’ve been trying to remember what is in my pantry and fridge. I’ll be updating this list every so often.
- I bike everywhere under 15km (to work, to the grocery, to my friends house, to go shopping, to the train station, etc)
- I swim in the summer season because it’s too hot (45C+humidity….aaaargh Japan)
- I jog from time to time
- I go to trampoline centres (you can burn 1000 calories/hour jumping) 2-3 times a month
- I lose around 5-10kg of pure sweat in summer…I’m not joking. It is that humid and hot in Japan during summer. My workplace do not use the AC and my apartment only has an AC in the kitchen.