As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy for details.
Forget buying expensive sugar free pizza sauce at the grocery store, this easy keto pizza sauce recipe is ready in less than 10 minutes and tastes so much better! Freeze individual portions for future use!
The BEST Keto Pizza Sauce
You might be wondering if pizza sauce is keto. It perfectly is! Whether you buy a store-bought kind of pizza sauce or you make your own, eating some pizza sauce is perfectly acceptable on the keto diet.
Not only can you use my pizza sauce recipe as pizza sauce, but you can also use it as a pasta sauce, dipping sauce or tomato sauce.
Pizza Sauce Ingredients
My keto pizza sauce recipe uses simple ingredients that everyone should have at home. It's super easy to make and should take you less than 10 minutes to make.
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Chili Flakes
Are tomatoes keto?
Yes, tomatoes are keto, in moderation. They can be quite high in carbs so you can't have a big serving if you're following a keto diet. A normal serving of homemade pizza sauce will be about ¼ cup to ½ cup per pizza, depending on how much pizza sauce you like.
How many carbs in pizza sauce?
This recipe makes 3 cups of sauce and each ¼ cup of sauce has about 4g net carbs. My low carb pizza sauce has the following nutritional information for each ¼ cup serving:
- 49 calories
- 2.28g fat
- 4.2g net carbs
- 1.26g protein
Best Store Bought Pizza Sauce to Buy
There are a few brands that sell sugar free pizza sauce. They can be quite expensive to buy so I suggest making your own keto tomato sauce at home. But if you don't have the time nor the ingredients to do so, you'll have to buy a keto friendly pizza sauce at the store.
When buying some pizza sauce at the store, you'll have to look at the ingredients to see that there are no sugars added or weird additives. A keto friendly pizza sauce should simply have tomatoes, tomato paste and spices. Here are my pizza sauce recommendations for keto.
- [easyazon_link identifier="B07C23L3XR" locale="US" tag="mypcoskitchen-20"]Rao's Pizza Sauce[/easyazon_link]: 3g net carbs per ¼ cup
- [easyazon_link identifier="B000SR5X6Q" locale="US" tag="mypcoskitchen-20"]Muir Glen Organic Pizza Sauce[/easyazon_link]: 5g net carbs per ¼ cup
- [easyazon_link identifier="B0716DP3PK" locale="US" tag="mypcoskitchen-20"]Godfather's Pizza Sauce[/easyazon_link]: 5g net carbs per ¼ cup
- [easyazon_link identifier="B07CT98B7J" locale="US" tag="mypcoskitchen-20"]Yo Mama's Marinara sauce[/easyazon_link]: 2g net carbs per ¼ cup
- [easyazon_link identifier="B013CPU8RY" locale="US" tag="mypcoskitchen-20"]Victoria's Marinara sauce[/easyazon_link]: 2.5g net carbs per ¼ cup
- [easyazon_link identifier="B01BO1SGP4" locale="US" tag="mypcoskitchen-20"]Mezzetta's Marinara sauce[/easyazon_link]: 2.5g net carbs per ¼ cup
Tomato Sauce Substitute
If you think that making homemade tomato sauce or using a store bought kind has too many carbs, you can use different types of tomato sauce substitute. My favorite substitutes include keto pesto, keto white sauce, marinara sauce, garlic sauce, homemade caesar dressing or bechamel sauce.
How to make Keto Pizza Sauce
Making sugar free pizza sauce has never been easier. Follow these simple steps to make a quick homemade pizza sauce in less than 10 minutes!
The Best Tomatoes for Pizza Sauce
Plum tomatoes are considered ideal for making homemade pizza sauce. They're perfect for the little amount of seeds and water they hold, their bright red colors and thick flesh. The San Marzano plum tomatoes are the most famous for making homemade pizza sauce, fresh or from canned tomatoes.
If you have San Marzano canned tomatoes in your local supermarket, definitely used those. They're ideal for this pizza sauce recipe. If not, no worries, any kind of canned tomatoes will do!
Chunky or Blended Pizza Sauce
Depending on how you like your keto tomato sauce, you might need to use different kinds of tomatoes or a blender. If you prefer a chunky tomato sauce, you'll want to use diced tomatoes in a can or fresh diced tomatoes.
For a blended thinner tomato sauce, you'll want to use crushed tomatoes. Or you can use diced tomato and crush everything in a blender.
How to Make Low Carb Pizza Sauce
You'll first want to thinly mince your onions and garlic. If you want to save a few carbs, feel free to skip the onions!
Sautee them in some olive oil until soft and then add the tomato paste.
Add the rest of the ingredients into the large pot, mix everything together and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
You're homemade pizza sauce is then ready to use!
How to Store Pizza Sauce
Homemade pizza sauce will stay fresh in the fridge for about 5 to 6 days in a sealed container. If you don't plan on using all of the pizza sauce, you'll want to freeze it for next time.
Add about ½ cup of pizza sauce to several Ziploc bags to freeze for next time. If you separate the pizza sauce into different portions before freezing, it's much easier to use later on. As a general rule of thumb, ½ cup of pizza sauce usually makes 2 small pizzas or 1 large pizza for me.
The frozen pizza sauce will last 2 months in the freezer, but can last up to a year if you seal it with a food saver.
What to do with leftover pizza sauce?
You can make so many low carb recipes using leftover pizza sauce. Here are a few suggestions you can try.
On Keto Pizza
- Keto Pizza Crust: Use my keto pizza crust and top it with this low carb pizza sauce for the perfect keto pizza.
- Keto Cauliflower Crust: Top this sugar free pizza sauce over a cauliflower crust for a healthy vegetable pizza.
- Fathead Pizza Crust: The most popular way to make a keto pizza crust. Top it with my amazing pizza sauce recipe.
- Broccoli Pizza Crust: A different way to make a pizza crust, but oh so delicious with my sugar free tomato sauce!
- Keto Chicken Pizza Crust: Forget vegetables or cheese, this meat pizza crust is amazing with my keto tomato sauce.
Other Leftover Pizza Sauce Recipes
- Keto Garlic Breadsticks
- Pepperoni Chicken Pizza Casserole
- Keto Meatballs
- Keto Sloppy Joes
- Keto Meatloaf: Top your favorite meatloaf recipe with leftover pizza sauce for an easy dinner idea.
- Keto Garlic Knots
Low Carb Keto Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Medium Pot
- Mince the garlic and onion. Add the olive oil to a medium pot and heat on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, until soft.
- Add the tomato paste, mix well with the onions.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and all of the spices. Stir well and let simmer for 10 minutes.The sauce is then ready to use.
Nutritional information is provided through calculations made on fatsecret.com. They are approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on mypcoskitchen.com. Sugar alcohols are included in the fiber count. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber (which include sugar alcohols).
All text, pictures & videos are copyright protected © by Mira Richard-Fioramore for My PCOS Kitchen.
Shares are very much appreciated, just make sure to share a link and not a screenshot.
Copy/pasting full recipe text to websites and social media is prohibited. Excerpts, single photos, and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to www.mypcoskitchen.com with appropriate link back to the original content.