Do you ever wake up one day and feel determined to do something or go somewhere that same day? That’s what happened to me last weekend. I woke up and really wanted to try making some pcos-friendly scones that would be gluten-free, sugar-free and low carb. I went to my fridge and pantry, looked at the ingredients I had on hand and decided to go for a lemon blackberry flavour since I had some blackberries in the freezer. If you’ve read some of my previous posts, I don’t usually use coconut anything in my recipes because I don’t like it when there’s a coconut flavour inside the recipe. However, this time I wanted a strong coconut flavour, in fact, I wanted them to be coconut scones so you can definitely taste the coconut in this recipe!!
I decided to top the scones with a simple coconut butter lemon frosting and a few lemon wedges for decoration. I used the zest of a lemon in this recipe, so make sure you get an organic lemon as you don’t want any chemicals in your batter.
You could make these scones with any berries you have on hand, but I like using blackberries because they are super low carb! I decided to bring some of these scones and give them to the school nurse as she’s been telling me that she’d like to try my food. I brought her a couple of slices and she said she really loved them! She didn’t even know there wasn’t any sugar or gluten in them! I love it when I cook something and people with a normal diet eat it and don’t realize it’s super healthy!!
I decided to make my scones in a round cheesecake mold, but you could also form scones with your hands and bake them separately. Just make sure you bake them a little bit less than if you would in a springform pan as you don’t want them to burn.
Lemon Blackberry Coconut Scones
- 1 cup coconut flour 118g
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour 60g
- 1/4 cup coconut shreds 30g
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1.25 tsp stevia powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp organic lemon juice
- zest 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk 125ml
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- In a different large bowl, mix in the apple cider vinegar and almond milk together and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the wet ingredients, except the blackberries, and whisk together. Pour in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a silicone spatula. This will form a pretty thick dough as the coconut will absorb a lot of the water. Mix in the blackberries.
- Line a 25cm springform pan with parchment paper and put the scone mixture in. Spoon it so that it is even everywhere.
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes depending on how much you want it cooked.
- If you want to make individual portions, you can make 10-12 small triangles with your hands and place them on a baking mat. Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven, lift the parchment paper out of the pan, and cut the scone cake into 10 pieces.
- Mix the lemon frosting ingredients together in a small bowl and spoon over the scones.