There was a huge seafood sale the other day and I took that opportunity to get some Argentinian shrimps, scallops and clams! I wasn’t sure what I was going to make, but once I got home I realized I had a huge cauliflower in my fridge so decided to make a Paleo Paella with all of the ingredients! I usually buy black tiger shrimps, but the Argentinian shrimps are a nice red colour and were a bit bigger than the tiger shrimps. If you’ve ever gotten Argentinian shrimps, you’ll notice that their shells are much harder and they’re a bit slimy inside compared to tiger shrimps. Scallops in Japan usually come with the roe attached and we eat all of it, but if you’re not comfortable eating the roe, feel free to remove it. I couldn’t find any mussels so I settled for some mini clams.
This is one of the best meals I’ve ever made and I am so obsessed with it. You couldn’t even tell that I was using cauliflower instead of rice. The cauliflower rice absorbed the broth and saffron flavour so beautifully that it was soft and fluffy at the same time. Normally, you would add different coloured peppers, lemon, or even chorizo sausages, but I wanted to keep the carb count low and just wanted to use the ingredients that I already had in my fridge.
You would normally use a paella pan to make this, but I had no such thing so I just used a work for the cooking and transferred everything to a cast iron skillet once everything was cooked so that I could place the seafood over the rice and not inside it.
This dish makes six filling portions. I’ve been bringing it to work in a Tupperware each day and everyone always asks me what I’m eating because it smells so good!
Keto Paleo Seafood Paella
- 620 g riced cauliflower about 1 extra large cauliflower
- 1/2 onion 100g
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 (300g) skinless chicken thighs
- 350 g Argentinian Red Shrimps about 17 shrimps
- 130 g scallops about 8
- 170 g clams weight with the shell (or mussels)
- 100 g green beans
- 2 pinches saffron threads or 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup diced tomato can 120ml
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Dice the onion, mince the garlic cloves, and cut the stems off the green beans.
- Cut the chicken thighs into bite size pieces.
- Peel and devein the shrimps, keeping their tails.
- Clean and scrub the clams if dirty.
- In a small bowl, add the cut chicken with 1 tsp of turmeric powder, the minced garlic, thyme, and 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper. Mix until combined and let marinate for a few minutes.
- In a large wok, add 2 tbsp of olive oil and add the diced onion and riced cauliflower. Cook for a couple of minutes, push to the side and 2 tbsp of olive oil with the chicken. Cook the chicken 1-2 minutes on the side and finally mix in with the cauliflower.
- Add the saffron threads, diced tomato can, chicken bouillon, 1 tsp of salt and pepper and cover with the shrimps, scallops, clams and green beans. Cover and let the steam cook the seafood for 5 minutes or until the clams have all opened up.
- Uncover, removed the seafood and green beans and place in a small bowl on the side, and let the liquid cook through for 3-4 minutes while mixing the cauli rice and chicken together. When the liquid has all evaporated, add the seafood back to the pan, carefully placing it nicely. Add the chopped parsley over everything and turn the heat off. It's now ready to enjoy!
Get the equipment used here:
Lodge L10SK3 Pre-Seasoned Skillet, 12-Inch