Last updated on August 2nd, 2017 at 04:28 am
It was Valentine’s Day yesterday here in Japan and I decided to celebrate it by making a super yummy Keto Paleo Pesto Roast Chicken! My boyfriend’s favourite sauce is pesto so I decided to make a new batch and rub some of the sauce all over. I then stuffed the skin of the breasts with it! After roasting if for an hour or so, I added the veggies to the side and baked it a bit more so that the skin would get crispy and nice and golden brown.
If you’ve never stuffed the inside of the skin on a whole chicken, I highly recommend it!! You can stuff it with literally anything and it’s guaranteed to taste delicious!
Keto Paleo Pesto Roast Chicken
- 1 whole chicken 1kg
- 3 tbsp homemade pesto
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 asparagus 135g
- 110 g broccoli about 1/3 of a head
- 5 radishes about 50g
- A few lemon slices
- Preheat the oven to 210C/410F.
- Lift the skin off the breast and stuff each breast with 1 tbsp of pesto sauce. Stuff it as far as you can making sure to rub the inside of the skin with all the pesto goodness.
- Brush the olive oil all over the bird and sprinkle the salt and pepper over. Place the bird in a cast iron skillet and put into the oven. Cook for 60 minutes.
- Cut the stems off the asparagus and broccoli. Cut the asparagus into three, slice the broccoli and cut the radishes in half. Place in a bowl and coat with 1 tbsp of pesto sauce making sure every veggie is coated.
- Take the chicken out after 60 minutes and spoon the extra oil all over the skin to make sure it browns. Place the veggies all around the chicken and put back into the oven for an extra 20 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, let rest for 10 minutes and serve. You can squeeze some lemon juice all over the chicken for some extra flavour.
Get the equipment used here:
Lodge L10SK3 Pre-Seasoned Skillet, 12-Inch