As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy for details.
A couple of weeks ago, my boyfriend and I had our date night so we decided to spice things up a bit and make a super yummy cheese fondue! At first, I wasn't sure how I would make it because I used to always make it with cornstarch. If you've ever made a cheese fondue, you'll know that the cheese and the alcohol tends to separate from one another and won't stick to each other so you usually need to add cornstarch to the pot to make everything stick together.
I decided on a whim to try and put xanthan gum in it to see if it would work, and I started adding ¼ tsp at a time while continuing mixing the whole thing. After about 1.5 tsp, the cheese and alcohol finally came together and it was a huge success!!!! I was so glad because I honestly didn't feel like wasting that much cheese, especially since it's so expensive and non-existent in Japan. For the fondue, we chose to eat it with some different veggies and different cuts of meat/seafood. I boiled or grilled everything beforehand and just needed to dip whatever I wanted in the cheese!
Keto Cheese Fondue
Ideas for dipping ingredients can be any of the following
- As needed cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, lotus root, asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, grilled chicken, bacon, sausages, shrimp, low carb bread
- In a fondue pot, add your garlic clove and white wine. Put on medium heat until the wine is simmering.
- Slowly add a bit of the cheeses into the wine while mixing with a silicone spatula. Make sure you only add a bit at a time and only add more cheese once the previous cheese has melted.
- Once all of the cheese has been added, you'll notice that the cheese and alcohol won't mix together. Add 1 tsp of xanthan gum and always continue whisking. The cheese fondue should slowly start to thicken and the alcohol and cheese will slowly mix together. If it still hasn't mixed together, just add ¼ tsp of xanthan gum more at a time until it does. Personally I used 1.5 tsp and it was the perfect consistency.
- Once the fondue is all mixed together, turn the heat to low and start dipping your ingredients inside the yummy cheese!
Nutritional information is provided through calculations made on fatsecret.com. They are approximate only. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of the nutritional information given for any recipe on mypcoskitchen.com. Sugar alcohols are included in the fiber count. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber (which include sugar alcohols).
All text, pictures & videos are copyright protected © by Mira Richard-Fioramore for My PCOS Kitchen.
Shares are very much appreciated, just make sure to share a link and not a screenshot.
Copy/pasting full recipe text to websites and social media is prohibited. Excerpts, single photos, and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to www.mypcoskitchen.com with appropriate link back to the original content.