Last updated on April 23rd, 2018 at 06:07 am
After I had just graduated university, I started working at my mom’s coffee shop and used to make some homemade baked goods. One of which were these broccoli cheddar muffins. At that time, everything I ate was full of sugar and gluten so the baked goods I made were all made of wheat. For the past few weeks, I’ve been retesting my original recipe to see if I could make it gluten-free and low-carb. It took a couple of tries, but I was finally able to make them moist, fluffy and full of flavour! These Keto Broccoli Cheddar Muffins only have about 5g net carbs in each. I usually like to eat one for breakfast and it keeps me full until lunch; they’re actually quite filling.
For this recipe, I used my jumbo silicone muffin trays, but I’m sure you could use normal metal muffin trays. Just make sure to oil them first as they WILL stick. Also, if you use muffin cups, the cheddar will stick to the paper and will not be able to come out, so that’s why I usually use silicone muffin trays. Hassle-free.
I think what surprised me the most is that they really resembled and tasted like wheat muffins. I think because the flavours of the cheddar, broccoli and spices are so strong that we don’t really notice an almond flavour. The muffins are also quite moist. I had made previous versions with lemon juice, coconut oil or coconut flour and they just weren’t the same. They were very dry and the coconut flavour overpowered the entire muffins.
Keto Broccoli Cheddar Muffins (Gluten-free/Low Carb)
- 4 eggs
- 90 ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 130 g cheddar
- 100 g broccoli about 1/3 a head
- 1 3/4 cup blanched almond flour 200g
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sage powder
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- Mix the almond milk and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the eggs and melted butter and mix.
- Grate the cheddar cheese and thinly slice the broccoli.
- In a bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix. Add the broccoli and mix again. Add the cheddar cheese and mix until all of the cheese is evenly mixed in the batter.
- Spoon the batter into 6 jumbo muffin moulds. I used silicone muffin moulds so that they wouldn't stick.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool before serving. You can eat them hot or cold, just be careful when taking them out of the oven as the inside of the muffin is piping hot!!
Do NOT use muffin cups. The batter WILL stick and it will be very hard to take off. Don't substitute the butter for coconut oil, it will give them a very strong coconut taste that just doesn't go well, at all, with the flavours of the muffin. You can substitute the apple cider vinegar for lemon juice, but this won't make them as moist and fluffy. Try not to skip the spices, it really adds flavour and tastes much better with them. Get the equipment used here: Silicone Texas Muffin Pans and Cupcake Maker, 6 Cup Large