Oh boy did summer come here in Japan. The rainy season is finally over and the heat is slowly melting me away. It’s been 38C + 90% humidity every day this week and I needed a cold treat asap! The only problem with cold treats that are sold in stores is that they are full of sugar! That’s why I decided to make these delicious paleo fruitylicious popsicles! They do not have any added sugar or honey/maple syrup to keep them low-carb.
I used some fresh blueberries and cherries for the fruit portions and some coconut milk for the white portions. Everything is sweetened with stevia powder, but it’s totally optional if you’re not too fond of it. I, however, don’t really like the taste of plain coconut milk so I added a bit!
Fruits are actually quite expensive and hard to find here in Japan, whether they’re frozen or not, so I was really happy when I found some fresh dark cherries! I don’t actually own one of those cherry pit removers so I used the thick end of a chopstick and stabbed the top of the cherry until the seed would pop out from the other side! But don’t worry, you can use fresh or frozen fruits for this recipe, no problem!
- 90 g pitted cherries fresh or frozen
- 1/2 tbsp organic lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp stevia powder or 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/8 tsp stevia powder
- 100 g blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1.5 tbsp organic lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp stevia powder or 1 tsp honey
- 4 popsicle sticks
- While the cherry puree is freezing, make the coconut layer.
- Mix the stevia and coconut milk together. Spoon 2 tbsp into each mold over the cherry layer and freeze for 30 minutes again.
- While the coconut is freezing, make the blueberry layer.
- Add the blueberries, lemon juice and stevia powder to a blender or food processor and pulse for 1 minute. Spoon 2 tbsp of the blueberry puree over the coconut layer, add the popsicle sticks and freeze for 4 hours or overnight!
- When ready to eat, just run the popsicle mold under some hot water to let it loose!
Buy the equipment used here:
KitchenAid KFP0711CU 7 Cup Food Processor, Contour Silver
OXO Good Grips Olive and Cherry Pitter, Black
Tovolo Groovy Ice Pop Molds - Yellow
Vitamix Professional Series 750 Brushed Stainless Finish with 64-Oz. Container