I don’t eat beef very often, maybe once every 2 months, but there was a huge sale on the beef pieces and I couldn’t help myself but buy a big piece of flank steak. I have recently harvested so much arugula and radishes that I needed to make a salad with them. This year is actually my first time planting vegetables and so I didn’t realize that one seed made one radish. I essentially dumped the whole pack of seeds into the earth and now I have a bit too many radishes on my hands. I also over-planted my arugula which is why it didn’t grow very large. I harvested half of it so hopefully the other half can grow bigger.
I actually bought some goat cheese the other day for another recipe, but I decided to use half of it for this recipe. Goat cheese goes so well with this salad and vinaigrette so I was glad I had some on hand. I usually buy my cheese at this foreign foods store down in Tokyo, but they didn’t have the creamy goat cheese on hand so I bought the camembert type of goat cheese. Either way, they’re both excellent versions.
I find that a balsamic vinaigrette always compliments beef so well so I decided to make an easy vinaigrette using the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, and honey. I added some cherry tomatoes and green onions to the salad for added colours.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did and let me know how it turned out!
Flank Steak & Chèvre Arugula Salad
- 8 cups arugula loose
- 20 cherry tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes
- 4 large radishes
- 100 g goat cheese
- 4 stems green onions
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, honey, dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper.
- Peel the garlic and crush it with a knife.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the steak. Cut your steak into 2 pieces if it doesn't fit in your pan or grill.
- Add the ghee to a large frying pan or grill pan, and heat on medium heat.
- Place the garlic cloves and rosemary inside the pan. Add the flank steak.
- Cook 5 minutes on both sides while pouring the garlic/rosemary ghee over the steak.
- Take out of pan and place on a cutting board. Slice it into long slices.
- Thinly slice the radish and green onions.
- Add the arugula to a large bowl or plate and cover with the sliced steak, radishes, tomatoes, crumbled goat cheese, and green onions.
- Pour the balsamic vinaigrette over the entire salad and enjoy!