Last updated on April 23rd, 2018 at 03:04 am
One of my favourite desserts during the holidays were fruit crumbles. I’ve always loved making streusel and adding it over different desserts. I’ve had to cut back on a lot of desserts because most of them contain gluten and sugar, but ever since I got diagnosed with PCOS, I’ve been determined to make PCOS-friendly version of desserts that I used to eat. This blueberry crumble contains no gluten or refined sugars and I made sure to make it as delicious as the original versions!
I added some oats to the crumble, but if you do not consume grains, feel free to switch it to chopped pecans or walnuts! I’ve mentioned in my PCOS diet page that the only grains that I consume are oats and buckwheat, but on rare occasions. I decided to add chia seeds to the blueberries because if not, the fruits become very watery and I prefer them to stick together. You would usually add corn starch to thicken the fruits for your crumble, but chia seeds does the same trick and adds lots of good fibre to your dish! The crumble was made using almond meal, oats, cinnamon, stevia powder, and ghee. If you cannot eat dairy, you can switch to coconut oil and it taste just as good! If gluten-free, make sure that your oats are certified gluten-free!
These blueberries were hand picked by my boyfriend and I last weekend in the mountains of Chichibu, Saitama. It was a really nice place to go and the weather was beautiful! I decided to buy 1kg of the blueberries I had picked so that I could make various desserts this week!
Blueberry Crumble (Gluten-free & Sugar-free)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- In a cast iron skillet, add the blueberries. Pour the lemon juice in and sprinkle the chia and stevia powder over the berries. Mix with a spoon.
- In a bowl, mix together the almond meal, oats, cinnamon, stevia powder and ghee. Mix with your hands or a fork until the ghee absorbs the "flour" and starts to crumble.
- Transfer the crumble over the blueberry mixture and cook in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and enjoy!