I was asked yesterday by one of you lovely ladies if I had a recipe for a mayonnaise using some avocado oil. It’s actually really easy to make homemade mayonnaise, and the fun part is you can use different types of oils to make it! You could even blend 2-3 oils together to make your own homemade personalized mayo! The traditional mayonnaise is usually made with either soybean oil, canola oil, or vegetable oil, but I think those oils aren’t necessarily healthy for us. Moreover, they usually have different types of additives and MSG added to them. I usually choose to make my own mayonnaise with either a light olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, or a mix of two or three of the oils.
I wanted to show you the difference in colour of the different mayonnaise you can make. Don’t be shocked if your mayo turns into a greenish colour, it’s only because the avocado oil has a darker colour than olive oil! When mixing the oils together, you will again achieve a different colour and taste!
I personally like adding different spices into my mayo to give it a little extra flavouring. You could add some garlic, chives, red pepper flakes, black pepper, basil, and so on!
I choose to add 2 egg yolks in my mayonnaise because it makes it extra creamy and spreadable! Also, it’s really important to use light olive oil because extra virgin oil will make the mayonnaise taste a big too strong for the palate (unless you like that). In the recipe, I gave different options for different kinds of mayonnaise so you can choose which one you want to try! Keep in mind that mayonnaise made with avocado oil/olive oil/coconut oil taste different than the traditional ones!
Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- 2 egg yolks room temperature
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For an Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- 1 cup avocado oil
For an Olive Oil Mayonnaise
- 1 cup extra light olive oil
For an Olive Oil/Avocado Oil Mix Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup extra light olive oil
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
For an Avocado Oil/Coconut Oil Mix Mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup avocado oil
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- Drop the egg yolks, lemon juice, dijon, sea salt and black pepper into a food processor. Pulse it for 10 seconds to combine.
- Slowly add, in a thin steady stream, the oil a 1/4 cup at a time while your food processor is still running. (My food processor has a tiny hole where I can add 1 tbsp of liquid at a time and it will make sure to add the liquid in a thin steady stream)
- Keep pulsing until all of the oil has been added and your mayonnaise has thickened.
- Here, you can add any spices you want.
- Once the mayo is done, transfer it to a jar/tupperware and refrigerate. It will keep good for about 1 week.
If you break your mayo (by adding the oil too fast), put 1 tbsp of water into a bowl and the broken mayo a little at a time while whisking it with the water. It'll turn back into mayo instantly!
Get the Equipment used here:
KitchenAid KFC3511ER 3.5-Cup Food Chopper - Empire Red